“Normally office buildings speak of generic environments. Here, within a tailored set of spaces, interaction and the promise of collaboration is easy to imagine.” – BBC
South Block is a 50,000 sq.ft, four storey studio complex in the heart of Glasgow’s Merchant City. The £3.5 million regeneration of South Block, a former textiles warehouse, was carried out by Wasps Studios, a Scottish social enterprise and charity, and designed by award-winning architects, NORD. At South Block there are 96 studios in total for visual and applied artists, cultural social enterprises and creative businesses.
We all spend a huge amount of time at work – many of us spend more time at work than at home. So it’s important to be in a good environment; a welcoming place that you look forward to working in.
We think South Block is that place. It offers the potential for creative people – whether you’re a visual artist, social entrepreneur, or commercial business owner – to make inspiring work, develop your career, grow your business, collaborate and meet like-minded people.
We provide straightforward, flexible workspaces that you can stamp with your own taste, brand, identity and ethos. And all this happens in a professional but laid back, sociable and friendly environment.
Please click here to download the South Block schedule with studio layout and plans.
The South Block project cost £3.5 million and we are tremendously grateful to the following funders for their support: Creative Scotland; Scottish Investment Fund; Scottish Enterprise; European Regional Development Fund; Glasgow City Council; Glasgow City Heritage Trust; and Merchant City Townscape Heritage Initiative.
What kind of studios are there?
- 96 workspaces in total ranging from 200 sq.ft to 2000 sq.ft.
- 25 offices for creative companies
- 7 offices for social enterprises working in the cultural sector
- 64 studios for visual artists and makers
Facilities & Space to share
- Comfy lounge area
- Ground floor retail / exhibition space
- Furnished meeting rooms
- Outdoor roof terrace
- Toilets, showers & kitchens
- Integrated seating areas
- Infrastructure connectivity for telephone and broadband
Access and Security
- Staffed reception during office hours
- 24 hour access with out-of-hours entrance/exit
- Controlled access for tenants & visitors
- 2014 Scotland Winner – Social Enterprise Awards
- 2013 Winner – Scottish Building of the Year, Andrew Doolan Prize, RIAS Awards
- 2013 Winner – Historic Scotland Award for Conservation and Climate Change, RIAS Awards
- 2013 Winner – Commercial Category, RIAS Awards
- 2013 Winner – Interior Design Category, Scottish Design Awards
- 2013 Commendation – Low Cost Projects Category, Scottish Design Awards
South Block currently has two Creative Industry office spaces available to let (from October 2018). Full details here.
If you are interested in renting these office spaces, please contact our Head of Property Alan Simpson on 0141 553 5890.
For reception, room hire enquiries, and information on using the project space contact:
Clementine Drake, Ishbel Mackenzie & Claire Oliver
0141 271 4700
To apply for studio space, please contact:
0141 553 5890