“Normally office buildings speak of generic environments. Here, within a tailored set of spaces, interaction and the promise of collaboration is easy to imagine.” – BBC
South Block is a 50,000 sq.ft, four storey studio complex in the heart of Glasgow’s Merchant City. The £3.5 million regeneration of South Block, a former textiles warehouse, was carried out by Wasps Studios, a Scottish social enterprise and charity, and designed by award-winning architects, NORD. At South Block there are 96 studios in total for visual and applied artists, cultural social enterprises and creative businesses.
We all spend a huge amount of time at work – many of us spend more time at work than at home. So it’s important to be in a good environment; a welcoming place that you look forward to working in.
We think South Block is that place. It offers the potential for creative people – whether you’re a visual artist, social entrepreneur, or commercial business owner – to make inspiring work, develop your career, grow your business, collaborate and meet like-minded people.
We provide straightforward, flexible workspaces that you can stamp with your own taste, brand, identity and ethos. And all this happens in a professional but laid back, sociable and friendly environment.
Please click here to download the South Block schedule with studio layout and plans.
The South Block project cost £3.5 million and we are tremendously grateful to the following funders for their support: Creative Scotland; Scottish Investment Fund; Scottish Enterprise; European Regional Development Fund; Glasgow City Council; Glasgow City Heritage Trust; and Merchant City Townscape Heritage Initiative.
What kind of studios are there?
- 96 workspaces in total ranging from 200 sq.ft to 2000 sq.ft.
- 25 offices for creative companies
- 7 offices for social enterprises working in the cultural sector
- 64 studios for visual artists and makers
Facilities & Space to share
- Comfy lounge area
- Ground floor retail / exhibition space
- Furnished meeting rooms
- Outdoor roof terrace
- Toilets, showers & kitchens
- Integrated seating areas
- Infrastructure connectivity for telephone and broadband
Access and Security
- Staffed reception during office hours
- 24 hour access with out-of-hours entrance/exit
- Controlled access for tenants & visitors
- 2014 Scotland Winner – Social Enterprise Awards
- 2013 Winner – Scottish Building of the Year, Andrew Doolan Prize, RIAS Awards
- 2013 Winner – Historic Scotland Award for Conservation and Climate Change, RIAS Awards
- 2013 Winner – Commercial Category, RIAS Awards
- 2013 Winner – Interior Design Category, Scottish Design Awards
- 2013 Commendation – Low Cost Projects Category, Scottish Design Awards
South Block is fully let right now, but for tenancy enquiries about other Wasps properties email email@example.com.
For room hire enquiries, and everything else, contact:
Andy Edwards & Clementine Drake
0141 271 4700